continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for improvements to Continuum distributed builds
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:27:16 GMT
On 09/08/2010, at 1:21 PM, Deng Ching wrote:

> Sure :)
>
> So, what we've talked about in the issue is to start making Continuum
> RESTful by adding RESTful access methods for Continuum resources. Maybe we
> could start with the distributed builds?

Right... it makes sense since it's already a discreet subset of the functionality designed
to be accessed over the web. This fits in with the target architecture we came up with some
time ago too.

The first task is to identify the types of resources that would need to be accessed. The working
copy is obvious, and any results / progress of a completed / current build. I'm not sure if
the agent holds a queue itself, or just a single build - but either way you probably treat
that as a resource that you can query for status or post a new build to. Then we'd need to
figure out what the representations of each would look like.

We'd probably want to line up the same interface on the master for the same types of resources,
too - though if this is established we can spend less time directing through the master by
sending some requests directly to an agent.

I'm guessing any of the JAX-RS libraries should be suitable for these simple use cases.

I spent a bit of time starting to sketch out the model for this a little while back - happy
to help if I can.

Cheers,
Brett

--