continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Venisse <emmanuel.veni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Merge branch for flat multi-module support to trunk
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 21:32:26 GMT
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:40 AM, Deng Ching <oching@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Deng Ching <oching@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > If you want to give try it out, I deployed a fresh snapshot of the
> > binaries
> > > built from the branch (-r945455) at:
> > >
> > > http://people.apache.org/~oching/continuum-flat-multi-module/<
> http://people.apache.org/%7Eoching/continuum-flat-multi-module/>
> > >
> > > The changes in the docs that I made for the flat multi-module support
> are
> > in
> > > the following pages:
> > >

> http://people.apache.org/~oching/continuum-flat-multi-module-docs/user_guides/managing_project/addProject.html
> <
> http://people.apache.org/%7Eoching/continuum-flat-multi-module-docs/user_guides/managing_project/addProject.html
> >

> http://people.apache.org/~oching/continuum-flat-multi-module-docs/user_guides/release/index.html
> <
> http://people.apache.org/%7Eoching/continuum-flat-multi-module-docs/user_guides/release/index.html
> >

> > I think the two checkboxes are confusing, especially since the docs
> > say that if both are checked, one will be ignored.  "Two checkboxes"
> > is not the right UI element for that behavior.
> >

> I agree, I'll fix this one in the branch first before merging to trunk.
>

> > Am I reading Emmanuel's comments correctly that you will change the
> > way Continuum works by default to always check a multi-module project
> > out in a single directory?  How will that change the UI?
> >

> Yes, I assume that's what he meant :) I think the items he mentioned in the
> email need a separate proposal. Changing the default checkout to a single
> directory would also affect the overall behavior of deleting projects in a
> project group..

You assume well :-)
I think it will be better for performance, disk space... to use only a
single directory for a complete project root checkout. With it, you update
sources only one time by build the directory instead of the same step and
one more by module.

The next step would be to check into the sources repo if it is needed to run
an update so we'll can increase more the performance, but it is an other
topic.