continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Marica Tan <marica....@gmail.com>
Subject Proposal for CONTINUUM-2476
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:57:30 GMT
In distributed builds, here's how a build agent get selected:

[1] Get the build agent where the project in the project group is currently
building

[2] If [1] returns null, check if there's a build agent group attached to
the build definition. If none, proceed to [3], otherwise, get the least busy
build agent attached to the build agent group.

[3] Get the least busy build agent

A limitation in distributed builds: all projects in a project group will
build on the same build agent because we assumed that they are
inter-dependent.

What happened with CONTINUUM-2476 was that when the NIGHTLY_BUILD got
triggered to run by 11pm, the WINDOWS_BUILD was still running.

So when distributed builds go to the process of selecting a build agent, [1]
returns the WINDOWS build agent, thus building it in WINDOWS instead of in
the LINUX_BUILD.

What I propose is to add checks like those in non-distributed build

- check if the project is in any prepare build queue
- check if the project is in any build queue
- check if the project is currently preparing build
- check if the project is currently building

Thanks,
--
Marica