continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Deng Ching <och...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for CONTINUUM-2476
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2010 02:01:32 GMT
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Marica Tan <marica.tan@gmail.com> wrote:

> In distributed builds, here's how a build agent get selected:
>
> [1] Get the build agent where the project in the project group is currently
> building
>
> [2] If [1] returns null, check if there's a build agent group attached to
> the build definition. If none, proceed to [3], otherwise, get the least
> busy
> build agent attached to the build agent group.
>
> [3] Get the least busy build agent
>

> A limitation in distributed builds: all projects in a project group will
> build on the same build agent because we assumed that they are
> inter-dependent.
>
> What happened with CONTINUUM-2476 was that when the NIGHTLY_BUILD got
> triggered to run by 11pm, the WINDOWS_BUILD was still running.
>
> So when distributed builds go to the process of selecting a build agent,
> [1]
> returns the WINDOWS build agent, thus building it in WINDOWS instead of in
> the LINUX_BUILD.
>

> What I propose is to add checks like those in non-distributed build
>
> - check if the project is in any prepare build queue
> - check if the project is in any build queue
> - check if the project is currently preparing build
> - check if the project is currently building

This would mean that it would not be possible to build a project
simultaneously in two build agents, right?
Can't it be done that if a project's build is triggered it would still build
it using the build environment attached to the schedule given that it's not
the same build environment that is being used by that same project already
building or in the build queue?

Thanks,
Deng