continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Distributed Build and Disk Space
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:12:47 GMT
This didn't get any responses on users@, perhaps it belongs here instead. -Wendy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM
Subject: Distributed Build and Disk Space
To: users@continuum.apache.org

I've been trying out Distributed Builds in 1.3.4 and wanted to get
some feedback on some concerns I have.

Say I have 10 project groups with 15 projects each, so 150 projects
building on various schedules and build definitions.

If I set up five build agents and let this run long enough, eventually
all 150 projects will get checked out and built on all five agents.
That is potentially a *lot* of disk space compared  to what we use now
with separate instances.

Has any thought been given to keeping disk space usage under control
on the agents?  Right now you can't delete projects that aren't in use
anymore [1].  But even if that worked, it seems like there needs to be
some scheduled process that gets rid of legitimate working directories
that just haven't been used in a while.

The local repository is another thing that tends to fill up.  I know
there is a purge feature for that, does it work on the distributed
agents?

What else takes up space that we need to think about in terms of the
multiplier effect of distributed build?

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-2376

Thanks,
--