continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Concurrent builds and local repository access
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:25:09 GMT

On 31/03/2010, at 2:41 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> If you enable parallel builds so that multiple things can build at
> once, how does that play with the local repository?
>
> Last I remember hearing, there is no locking so concurrent access by
> multiple Maven processes is not advisable.

It's not actually a huge issue, but I think it mostly hits people trying to build the same
thing twice and installing different snapshots over each other.

> Then again, Don Brown did some work with parallel artifact
> downloading, so perhaps that helped?  (As of what Maven version?)

No, it only downloads different artifacts in parallel.

> Just wanting to find out if this has been considered and how it's handled.

Use different local repository configurations... which will require some careful planning
of your queues.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter