continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Marica Tan <>
Subject Re: Thoughts on build environment selection when releasing in distributed build setup
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:39:51 GMT
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Wendy Smoak <> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Jevica Arianne B. Zurbano
> <> wrote:
> > I have created
> >
> Thanks, that makes it easier to work with.  Initial thoughts:
> Selection of Build Agent - Part A:  I don't think the
> default/last-used build agent should ever be used if it is not part of
> the selected build environment.
> If the user didn't select a build environment, how will continuum know
which agent to perform the release?
Are we requiring the user to select a build environment when releasing with
distributed builds?

With non-distributed, I can opt not to select a build environment and still
be able to do a release.

> That is, if I select a build environment for the release, I would be
> unpleasantly surprised to have Continuum decide to use an agent that
> is not part of that build env.  (not included in the agent group
> assigned to that build env.)
> It should prefer the last-used agent *if* it is in the build env, to
> save time by not having to do another checkout.
> How does the 'selected agent' get selected from the agent group?
> (This may be documented elsewhere as it's probably the same as for
> scheduled builds.)

I think the selection should go like this:

1. last-used agent
2. agent with the least build load.

The definition of the default build agent as the one that was last
> used to build the project doesn't work if we accept that a previous
> successful build is not necessary to do a release.  (But I see that's
> under future enhancements, so okay.)
If we implement this, we could just add a check if there's a previous build
and if none then do a checkout in the selected build agent, which is the
agent with the least build load. And I think this could work on both
with/without selected build environment.