continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on build environment selection when releasing in distributed build setup
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:50:04 GMT
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Marica Tan <marica.tan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Selection of Build Agent - Part A:  I don't think the
>> default/last-used build agent should ever be used if it is not part of
>> the selected build environment.
>>
>> If the user didn't select a build environment, how will continuum know
> which agent to perform the release?
> Are we requiring the user to select a build environment when releasing with
> distributed builds?
>
> With non-distributed, I can opt not to select a build environment and still
> be able to do a release.

In non-distributed build, not selecting a build environment means it
will use the "default"  environment, whatever Continuum is running in.

That doesn't seem to make sense in a distributed environment, since
nothing builds on the master where you are pressing the buttons.

Therefore, I think selection of a build environment should be
mandatory in distributed builds.

Any arguments to the contrary?

[This decision will have effects on the scheduled/forced build
features as well as configuration and UI.]

--
Wendy