continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on build environment selection when releasing in distributed build setup
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:19:50 GMT
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Jevica Arianne B. Zurbano
<jevica.arianne@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONTINUUM/Build+Environment+Selection+During+Release

Thanks, that makes it easier to work with.  Initial thoughts:

Selection of Build Agent - Part A:  I don't think the
default/last-used build agent should ever be used if it is not part of
the selected build environment.

That is, if I select a build environment for the release, I would be
unpleasantly surprised to have Continuum decide to use an agent that
is not part of that build env.  (not included in the agent group
assigned to that build env.)

It should prefer the last-used agent *if* it is in the build env, to
save time by not having to do another checkout.

How does the 'selected agent' get selected from the agent group?
(This may be documented elsewhere as it's probably the same as for
scheduled builds.)

The definition of the default build agent as the one that was last
used to build the project doesn't work if we accept that a previous
successful build is not necessary to do a release.  (But I see that's
under future enhancements, so okay.)

Thanks,
--
Wendy