continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on build environment selection when releasing in distributed build setup
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:27:51 GMT
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Marica Tan <marica.tan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> IMHO, we could have a simple fix for now, like being able to set an
> environment variable (e.g. heap size) or a build tool (jdk, maven or ant)
> during release and then ignore the build agent group in the build
> environment for the meantime.

Have you verified that it ignores the entire build environment?  I
only noticed the problem with the build agent.  I have not tested
whether the tools/envars are respected.

For 1.3.6 we need to clearly document whatever the actual behavior is.

For 1.4.x I would like to see the ability to select a build
environment, including the associated build agent group, and have the
release environment include those selections.  It should prefer the
last-used build agent if it is present in the group, to save
time/space by not having to do another checkout.  But if there is no
checkout of the project being released on the build agent that gets
selected, then it should do a checkout and proceed, just as it would
for a scheduled or forced build.

But first I would like to see if the architectural changes that anyone
has in mind touch this area of the code, possibly invalidating this
entire discussion.

Thanks,
--
Wendy