continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on build environment selection when releasing in distributed build setup
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 02:04:18 GMT
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Marica Tan <marica.tan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the reasons why it needs to have a previous successful build are:
>
> 1. to make sure there is a working copy

You don't need to build to have a working copy, just check out.

> 2. to make sure we have a successful build before we tag. there is no sense
> to release a project if the build failed because the release will fail as
> well.

There's no relationship between a successful build in the past and a
successful release now.  A commit in between could have fixed (or
broken) the build, giving a different result when you try to release.

This feels like an arbitrary restriction that could be removed.

--
Wendy