continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on build environment selection when releasing in distributed build setup
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 01:14:37 GMT
I had a long conversation with myself about this on the drive home,
and I keep going in circles.  I don't know how much of the existing
behavior is intentional vs. incidental.

In non-distributed build, it will not let you do a release unless the
projects are in 'build success' state. Obviously, the release happens
on that working copy.

Carrying that over to distributed build, you still have to have a
previous successful build.  IF the release has to happen on that
working copy, then you don't get to pick the build agent.  And since
the build agent is part of the build environment...

So, can someone explain why you have to have a previous successful
build in order to do a release?  It's not a requirement at the maven
command line.  The release might fail, but you are not prevented from
trying it.

Is this a real requirement, or can we go with Brett's idea that
Continuum Release should do a checkout, which would mean it could
happen anywhere?

Honestly I think this work should be delayed until the architecture
changes are sorted out.  It shouldn't be this complicated.

--
Wendy