continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on build environment selection when releasing in distributed build setup
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:03:07 GMT
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Jevica Arianne B. Zurbano
<jevica.arianne@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's my approach regarding the buildagent used for release.
> (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-2386)
>
> Scenarios:
> * multiple buildagents in BUILDAGENT_GROUP configured in a BUILD_ENVIRONMENT
>  - The first enabled buildagent encountered will be used.

Is there a reason to change the current behavior, which is that it
prefers the last-used build agent?  (Fixing it so that it checks out a
new working copy as Brett mentioned seems out of scope for this issue,
but maybe it's easier.  I think right now you have to have a previous
successful build for the release to work.)

> * no BUILDAGENT_GROUP configured in the selected BUILD_ENVIRONMENT, and
> buildagents in BUILDAGENT_GROUP are disabled
>  - The default buildagent will be used.

Not sure about the "and" here, isn't this two separate cases?  (How
can they be disabled if there is no group?)

How is the default build agent defined?

What happens if there is no BUILD_ENVIRONMENT chosen at all?  (Or is
it required in the distributed build case?)

Maybe a wiki page would be better to sort this out, it needs to get
into the docs eventually. :)

--
Wendy