continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r899473 - in /continuum/trunk: ./ continuum-docs/src/site/ continuum-docs/src/site/apt/installation/ continuum-docs/src/site/apt/user_guides/building_project/ continuum-docs/src/site/apt/user_guides/managing_project/
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 03:53:39 GMT

On 15/01/2010, at 6:06 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>> Thanks Dennis!
>>
>> On 15/01/2010, at 10:34 AM, dennisl@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> Manually merged from 1.3.x branch.
>>
>> Just curious, but why is manual merging needed? Once I'd updated the other day, I
had all the mergeinfo up to date such that you could remerge the entire branch and get just
the changes.

> That's a good question, that I asked myself before doing the manual
> merge. I wasn't sure that I would be able to do an automatic merge,
> because a couple of the files in the first commit are different (content
> wise) in the branch compared to trunk. And the changes I made was very
> close to the different parts of those files.

It shouldn't matter, though it might result in needing to edit a conflict when you do - certainly
no worse than merging by hand.

In general, the following should work if you have trunk and 1.3.x checked out in side-by-side
directories continuum and continuum-1.3.x respectively:

svn merge -c $REV continuum-1.3.x continuum

For now, we do all merges from 1.3.x to trunk for historical reasons. Having learned from
it, I'd suggest not doing that in the future :)

> If you want me to I'll revert and try to do an automatic merge instead,
> so that the mergeinfo is correct. I'll could at least exclude the 3
> files that are different into a separate commit, and manually merge that
> one if necessary.

It's fine, I re-executed the merge and they fell in together just fine along with some other
changes missed (including one by me :)

Cheers,
Brett

--