continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should Continuum Release use the Maven Release Plugin or not?
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:55:07 GMT
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12/09/2009, at 9:30 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:
>
>> We have http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1633 requesting that
>> Continuum use the release plugin.
>>
>> As I understand it, we have a dependency on Maven Release, but not the
>> plugin itself.
>>
>> I was leaning towards WONTFIX, but the final comment implies that the
>> attached patch might be accepted.  Unfortunately it's very old now.
>
> Wow, time flies. I'd leave it open for review - we need to fix the issue -
> though I'd prefer that happen through the release components and not using
> the plugin. But the patch may be of some value.

The way I read it, the underlying problem is " if I configure the
release plugin in pom.xml (for default values ... ), this is ignored
by continuum. "

And I believe that's fixed and Continuum now picks up release plugin
configuration in the pom.  (Except for the problem that if you
configure one of the params, you lose the defaults for the rest, but
that's in JIRA.)

To me, release is complex enough when we know what single version of
the libraries is being used.  What value is added by using the release
plugin directly and allowing the user to pick the version?  And do we
lose anything by using the release plugin instead of the libraries?
(For example, can we still do the list of phases on the release
prepare screen and show where you are in the process or where it
failed?)

--
Wendy