continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: separating the builder code from the UI
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 00:49:45 GMT

On 02/07/2009, at 9:29 PM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> I'm fine with your approach but I don't think the final code will be
> similar
> to the actual so I thought to write it from scratch.

I don't actually mind either way - unfortunately I'm unlikely to be
contributing a lot to this a long the other way other than throwing in
my 2c, but we'll see :)

There are pros and cons.... the upside of starting over is that it is
probably faster overall and you can set up some guidelines to stick to
throughout (like style of testing, use of libraries), but on the other
hand its much longer before anything usable comes out of it. Perhaps
if we take the approach of moving much of the functionality to plugins
we could have a functional, distributed builder core up more quickly.

> If we use your approach, it would be good to decide all modules and
> architecture components before to start so we'll can create an issue
> for
> each and follow easily the progress.

I think either way that's a good idea, and particularly to have a
vision for what it's focus is going to be. Is this just about cleaning
up the internals, or is it to change the way Continuum works?

- Brett