continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Continuum architecture management
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:14:41 GMT
Since we're talking about making architectural changes, I wonder how
close we really are to the "now" diagram on
http://continuum.apache.org/ref/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT/architecture.html ?

I tried looking at Continuum with Structure101 late last year, but
didn't get very far because the packages are still split between
org.apache.maven.continuum and org.apache.continuum.  What I _could_
see tells me that we have a some dependencies between modules that
really shouldn't be allowed to talk to each other. :)

Recently I've been trying this again with SonarJ, which the nice folks
at Hello2morrow have provided a license for.  With this tool, you
define your own layers and  rules about which layers are allowed to
communicate, and then it shows you where the dependencies are.

I would really like to define the new architecture and use automated
tools to make sure we adhere to it (or at least know when we aren't).

Thoughts on this in general?  Any other tools we should evaluate?

--
Wendy