continuum-dev mailing list archives

From José Morales Martínez <jmora...@gmv.com>
Subject RE: questions about Selenium tests
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 02:01:58 GMT
I response between lines.

>>  Hi,
>>
>> I was taking a look around at the source code and http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONTINUUM/Selenium+Tests
>>   to try and figure out how I would add a test in future and had a few
>> questions.
>>
>> Can we filter in the server ports in testng.properties so that they
>> can all be changed from one place? This would also mean that running
>> against your own instance would be -Dexisting-container -
>> Dcontainer.port=12345 instead of modifying the properties.

Yes, we can filter this property and set a maven property. It is a good idea.

>> In the doc, it refers to two build runs, but wouldn't it be better to
>> illustrate the "mvn clean install -Pintegration" method of a single run?
>>
>> Which sources are current? I see src/test/it, src/test/java and src/
>> test/testng. Preferably, they would all be under src/test/java to
>> minimise configuration if only one tree is needed.

'testng' package was initially intended to test with TestNG and 'it' package was intended
 to test with JUnit.
TestNG has been updated, but T think JUnit has not been maintained.

>> What is the role of the selenium-ide files? Do they need to be
>> maintained concurrently?
>>
>> It appears that the testng groups map one-to-one with the class name.
>> Is that correct? If so, are they needed since the include/exclude
>> could be done on class name instead? (the groups would be better
>> served to broader categories - eg, all maven1 functionality when the
>> tests span multiple classes).

Currently, we get one-to-one (usual practice), but isn't mandatory.
We can use class instead test name. I usually have used test name and therefore I put this.

>> What is the reason for listing all the groups directly? It seems easy
>> to forget. It would be better to just selectively exclude (and in the
>> docs at the moment, adding "excludes" is redundant if they aren't run
>> automatically?)
>>
>> Is there anywhere other than the code/scripts that we have written
>> down the tests that are being used?
>>
>> In the doc, the last section on creating/submitting patches could
>> probably be on the site more generally, not just for the tests.
>>
>> Are there any tips for creating tests - such as setting up pre-
>> condition state (users, login, projects, etc), and ordering within in
>> the classes?
>>
>> Thanks for the work on these!

Gracias por su colaboracion.