continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Deng Ching <och...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding project groups takes longer and longer
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:26:04 GMT
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Emmanuel Venisse <
emmanuel.venisse@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Wendy Smoak<wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > To try to reproduce that, I added 400 groups to a fresh Continuum
> > > 1.3.3 instance.  I notice that it takes longer and longer to add each
> > > group.  Here's a graph:
> > >

> http://people.apache.org/~wsmoak/continuum/continuum-1.3.3-add-400-groups.png<http://people.apache.org/%7Ewsmoak/continuum/continuum-1.3.3-add-400-groups.png>
> <
> http://people.apache.org/%7Ewsmoak/continuum/continuum-1.3.3-add-400-groups.png
> >

> > Back to the "too many queries" idea, I found that
> >  - adding group401 resulted in 61,144 queries
> >  - adding group402 restulted in 61,278 queries
>

> I'm very surprised by this numbers. We must work on the cache to not reload
> all the cache content each time.
> Actually the cache is reloaded every 4hours except for userPermissions and
> userAssignments that are reloaded every 10 minutes.

Aside from these caches configured in Redback, JPOX also has it's own Level
1 caching (which cannot be turned off) and that also contributes to the
queries. This caching can be switched to Level 2 caching though and JPOX has
support for Ehcache in that level. Since Redback already uses Ehcache, I'm
trying to figure out if it's possible (and how) to configure JPOX to use the
ehcache configured in Redback so that caching would only happen once.

> The cache must not be totally reloaded without an expiration, if a data
> must
> be reloaded, only this one must be removed/readded in the cache.
>
> For the groupSummary page, Continuum do some request to get the content:
> - 1 request to get the project group list
> - 1 request by project group to get the summary
> - 1 request by project group to get the local repository informations
>
> So for 400 project groups, Continuum run 1 + 400 + 400 = 801 requests. I
> think it would be good to run run less requests, maybe we can use ehcache
> here to run 0 requests.
>
> For each web request, Redback do a select to see if an authorization key
> (seesion id) exist and if not (it never exist) it insert a new entry in the
> table. I don't think it is good.

+1

> Emmanuel

Thanks,