continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schulte ...@schulte.it>
Subject Re: Schedules and Build Queues
Date Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:54:28 GMT
Wendy Smoak schrieb:
> So... I've thought about this, tried to explain it in presentations
> about Continuum, and talked to users about it.
>
> The most devastating comment I heard was from someone who has tried
> Continuum on and off since the early days who said, "You've added a
> lot of complexity."
>
> IMO, the additional control is not worth the added complexity.
>
> It would be different if we'd implemented the simple case first and
> had people complaining that they need to do X.  But so far, I haven't
> met anyone who understands how this works.  (I'm not exactly clear
> what happens with the queues you *don't* attach to a schedule.  And if
> queues are attached to schedules, then what about forced builds?)
>
> I think we should remove the 'number of builds allowed in parallel'
> from the general configuration screen, and just have some queues.
> More queues, more builds can happen in parallel.
>
> Let's see what people think here, then I may float the idea in the
> user list to get feedback.

Maybe not assign the queues to schedules but to project groups ?
Currently whenever I want different project groups to build in parallel,
I have to create schedules for each project group. That leads to various
'hourly' schedules just because of assigning queues to them which is
needless somehow. If the queues could be assigned to these groups, no
redundant schedules are needed any more. Same applies to distributed
builds, I think.

--
Christian