continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Lustig ...@marclustig.com>
Subject Profiling results for Continuum
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:28:01 GMT

Hi there,
as requested I repost this here.

our teams have been suffering from the bad performance of the Continuum-UI
for a long time . I found now the time to profile one of our servers running
3 Continuum-1.2.2-instances (webapps) on a single Tomcat6, JDK6, RHEL4 and
Oracle-RAC as database-backend.

The tomcat-JVM is consuming between 150 and 200 % of our dual-core
Xeon-server.
This is just the tomcat-JVM, not any maven-process running aside.
And I am not talking about peaks, the load is as high like that for hours.

This is a snapshot taken by Jprofiler at a time without any user-activity on
one of the UI's.

the 3 threads causing the highest load are:
37,3% - 54.415 ms - 5 inv. org.jpox.AbstractPersistenceManager.detachCopyAll
13,6% - 19.842 ms - 14 inv.
org.codehaus.plexus.jdo.PlexusJdoUtils.getObjectById
34,5% - 50.362 ms - 4.480 inv.
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.BlockingQueue.poll
(100% = total load caused by the JVM)

The first 2 threads are caused by the JDO-impl.  Is it possible that
Continuum has an extremely "bad" fetching stragety, e. g. doing all kinds of
unnecessary loading cascades? This is my first impression.

About the 3rd thread, I have no idea why this BlockingQueue is causing such
a tremendous load.
What is the purpose of this thread? Can it be optimized.

The slow performance is not only while adding new project groups. There is a
high CPU-load almost constantly between 100 and 200 % (on dual core):

12795 tomcat    16   0  171   7238:01 40.9 12.0g 6.3g  10m S java

thanks

Marc