continuum-dev mailing list archives

From José Morales Martínez <jmora...@gmv.com>
Subject RE: JUnit vs. TestNG
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:21:01 GMT
I prefer TestNG, but I think we need to upgrade to version 5.9 due to a bug related to 'sequential'
option for  inheritance. This bug is fixed in 5.9, although it is not compulsory, it simplifies
the test and the facility to understand the flow. It is the comment of LoginTest class in
TestNG test:

/*
 * Bug in TestNG. TESTNG-285: @Test(sequential=true) works incorrectly for classes with inheritance
 * http://code.google.com/p/testng/source/browse/trunk/CHANGES.txt
 * Waiting 5.9 release. It's comming soon.
 */

NOTE: I have updated TestNG test. View CONTINUUM-2073.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-2073
-----------------------
Jose

-----Original Message-----
From: Brett Porter [mailto:brett@apache.org]
Sent: lun 20/04/2009 2:59
To: dev@continuum.apache.org
Subject: Re: JUnit vs. TestNG

Yeah, just toss them in src/test/java together, Surefire will sort it
out if you aren't using a suite XML, and if you are they are easy
enough to add in there.

I definitely prefer TestNG in the long run for the configurability of
the tests using dependencies and groups, and so on.

- Brett

On 18/04/2009, at 7:13 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:24 AM, José Morales Martínez
> <jmorales@gmv.com> wrote:
>
>> I noticed that the test uses JUnit, version 3.8.1. As a suggestion,
>> I propose the possibility of using TestNG [1]. In TestNG we can
>> config groups, dependencies inter groups, order, timeOut, ... It
>> also allows the use of annotations.
>> It's a bit harder to configure, but it has its advantages.
>> [1] http://testng.org
>
> Is it time to make a decision on this?  I've been applying patches on
> both sides, and I have a feeling the tests probably overlap in
> functionality by now.  Brett mentioned that it's possible to run JUnit
> tests with TestNG, maybe that would be a first step towards
> consolidation?
>
> --
> Wendy

Gracias por su colaboracion.