continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Ancajas <jansqua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backup and restore db function
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:27:22 GMT
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Jan Ancajas <jansquared@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Backup will include  user / security and build databases.  Then it
>> will be stored in a dated subdirectory of the backup directory you
>> specified. During the backup process the app will be inaccessible.
>> For the restore function, it will restore the previous state of the
>> system by specifying the directory or you can select from the recent
>> backup activity list.
>
> This uses the existing Data Management stuff, and provides a Web UI
> for it, correct?
Yes:)

> How does it make the app inaccessible?  We have an outstanding issue
> to provide a graceful shutdown, (not allow new things to be queued,
> wait until queues clear out,) will that be addressed?

For the backup there shouldn't be a problem, it will only copy the
data to an xml file. During the restore part the unavailability period
occurs from erasing the db up to completely restoring it.  The
wait-until-queues-clear-out scenario will not be addressed since we'll
never know how long the pending tasks takes long to finished and we
are restoring the db to a previous state anyway.

Thanks:)