continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reviving the automated Selenium tests
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:57:59 GMT
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM, José Morales Martínez <jmorales@gmv.com> wrote:

> I am interested in this topic.
> I think that this would avoid many of the problems has been the change to strut2.
> How can I contribute?  Test will be attached to Jira issues?

Great!  Yes, tests can be contributed by opening a JIRA issue and
attaching a patch.

What I'm working on right now is getting the container
start/deploy/stop part automated again.

I've got three parallel efforts going in the continuum-webapp-test module.

(A)
1. in continuum-webapp, run 'mvn jetty:run'
2., in continuum-webapp-test, run 'mvn clean install'

This will use the default pom.xml, and should work.  With the webapp
running as the root context on port 9090, you should get a successful
test of the About page.  If you want to run tests against another
Continuum instance, edit the url in src/test/resources/it.properties .

Unfortunately, that's the *only* thing that works right now, but if
you're more interested in writing tests than messing with the
infrastructure, start there. :)

Or, if you prefer Selenium IDE, you can record tests with that and
contribute the html files.  You'll find some of those tests in
src/test/selenium-ide, and Emmanuel mentioned the idea of
automatically converting them to Java during the build and running
them.

(B)
1. in continuum-webapp-test, run 'mvn clean install -f it-pom.xml'

This should use the Cargo plugin to start Tomcat and deploy the webapp
as /continuum on port 9595.  This needs the latest and greatest Cargo,
which you'll probably have to build yourself.  You'll see
configuration for the data sources and extra dependency jars in the
pom-it.xml file -- this is new stuff in Cargo.

This one has the most promise.  I'm pretty sure it actually worked
once, earlier today, but it's being uncooperative now and I've been
staring at it for too long to see the problem.

(C)
1. edit it.properties and change BASE_URL to
http://localhost:8080/continuum-webapp-1.3.2-SNAPSHOT
2. in continuum-webapp-test, run 'mvn clean install -f pom2.xml'

This should use the JUnit CargoTestSetup class to start Tomcat and
deploy the webapp.  It requires a TOMCAT_HOME environment variable set
to the location of a Tomcat 5.5 install.  I still need to add the
Resources and figure out how to get the extra jars into the Tomcat
install.

This one isn't ready for general consumption yet.  Some things may
still be specific to my environment while I try to get it working.
It's a continuation of some work I did ages ago, and probably isn't
what we'll end up using.

Hope that is enough to get started with, if you have any questions, just ask.

--
Wendy