continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reviving the automated Selenium tests
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:39:35 GMT
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Emmanuel Venisse
<emmanuel.venisse@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, we have some tests in continuum-webapp-test/src/selenium-ide. I
> think we can use/reuse them for automation.

Yes, I've been adding those here and there.  I was actually planning
to convert the few Selenium IDE tests we have over to Java though.

> The record process can be :
> -Use selenium-ide to record all our tests
> -Save them in html format so we'll can reload them in selenium-ide
>
> The automation process:
> -before to run tests, we can convert all html files to JUnit files with XSL
> -Run all JUnit tests
>
> With this process, we have no test to write and maintain in java, so I think
> it will be more easy to keep them in the right way.
>
> WDYT?

I think if we want to keep the HTML formatted tests, we might need to
support both.  The HTML format is okay for simple things, and I really
like it for user-contributed tests since it's so easy to record them.

But as far as I know you can't do things like the conditional logic to
decide whether you need to create the admin user.  And of course you
don't get the benefit of inheritance in Java, so they suffer from
copy-paste reuse for things like logging in and out.

I'm definitely interested in running the tests in multiple containers
against multiple databases, eventually.

--
Wendy