continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Edwin Punzalan <epunza...@apache.org>
Subject thoughts on CONTINUUM-745
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:08:24 GMT
Hi, guys.

I've been out for quite some time and now that I have some spare time, I
hope you don't mind me looking through jira again.  ^_^

Anyway, I'm interested in working on CONTINUUM-745 and have done some code
digging on how this can be accomplished.  Unfortunately, what I have in mind
is not a small change I can just decide to implement.  So I'm going to ask
your opinions on that and also ask your suggestions on how you think this
can be done.

As suggested, I looked at a solution that involves a checkout of the poms
from the SCM:

The first solution I looked into is to checkout just the pom files.  This is
not really bad since from the parent pom, we can locate where the module
poms are.  So I looked around and found that even for just SVN, its not
possible to checkout just one file.  An export of a single file is possible
but the export command is not even in maven-scm.

My next thought was to do a non-recursive checkout on the pom directory.
Maven-SCM currently checkout everything recursively, so we may need to
enhance it.  So this way, we'll be able to checkout the pom, as well as
other files with it in the directory.  Its not optimal, but it will work.
Btw, I'm only familiar with SVN and CVS.  So I'm not sure if the other SCMs
support non-recursive checkouts.  So this may not be a good idea if not all
SCMs support a non-recursive checkout.

And then I thought of an alternative (ambitious?) way to accomplish this:

Right now, when a parent pom is in a project group and a new module is added
to it, continuum will not discover this and doesn't create a new project for
that new module (right?).  So what I have in mind is to add a new action
(button?) that will look through all parent poms in the project group,
determine if there are modules which do not have a corresponding continuum
project and create them.  We can even add this action to the standard build
workflow of continuum for auto-discovery.

Then we can reuse this same action for CONTINUUM-745... that is, add the
multi-project pom into continuum (ignoring its modules during add) to create
just one continuum project to the project group.  And then the user can
choose to execute this action (or maybe its automatic after checkout?) so
that continuum projects will be created for its modules and added to the
project group.

Thoughts?