continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Dehon <odn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Prevent adding a project with a release version
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:36:37 GMT
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 14:19 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Marica Tan <ctan@exist.com> wrote:
> > What do you guys think of adding an option to prevent user from adding a
> > project where the pom has a release version?
> >
> > Currently, some users have encountered that if they add a project with a
> > release version in its POM, then the built artifact gets redeployed to the
> > releases repository every single build.
>
> Sounds good, as long as it's configurable.  "Prevent non-SNAPSHOT versions"?
>
> I think instead of preventing the _addition_, it might work better to
> just refuse to build it if this option is turned on, and display an
> error message.
>
> You can get into this situation if a release fails in the middle, or
> just by updating the pom, so there's a possiblity that a project was
> added properly with a SNAPSHOT version, but then was changed later.
>
> Obviously the release feature needs to be able to build non-SNAPSHOT versions.

I was trying to achieve this kind of enforcement by using a different
user to deploy to my releases repo than the one that is used to deploy
to my snapshots repo, but I could not find a way to get Continuum to use
a different user to deploy depending on whether it is building a
scheduled build or performing a release.

Maybe it should be possible by leveraging the <servers> section in the
settings.xml of the user that Continuum runs under? Then configure the
write-access rights to the repositories accordingly?

Any ideas welcome.

-Olivier