continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Napoleon Esmundo C. Ramirez" <napoleonesmundocarpiorami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: First Part of Distributed Builds
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:18:53 GMT
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any further news on this?  I see lots of commits, but not much
> discussion... even having a conversation with yourself will help
> everyone else keep up with changes and possibly get involved. :)
>
> One thing I'm concerned about is how I'm going to take a dozen
> individual Continuum instances and get all that data into the new
> master.  Has the model changed?  First priority is all the
> projects/build defs/schedules/etc., and secondly the build results
> which are important for statistics.
>
> --
> Wendy

Having lots of data aggregated from different Continuum instances into one
will need some kind of an importer tool.  I'm thinking this should only
support data from Continuum instances of the same model version, while data
from different versions will have to be handled by a separate db migration
and conversion tool.  I'd like to point out that distinction and combining
the two is an option, but let's take things bit by bit first.

Briefly:
1.  The Backup functionality should be available in the Continuum web ui.
The core functionality is available, making it accessible in the Continuum
web ui will ease the generation of data to import.
2.  Create the Import functionality.
2.a  This accepts the backup files as input.
2.b  All the data in the backup file will be appended to the existing data
of the Continuum instance it is imported to.  A basic rule is: no
duplicates.  In case of duplicates, either a new

The complications are:
1.  The keys of the entities in the imported data may have duplicates in the
Continuum instance it is imported to.  To address this, the keys of the
imported data will have to be adjusted, shifting the values to next
available values but giving preference to the existing data (latest key
value + 1 ??).
2.  Since the keys will be adjusted, the relationships between the entities
of the imported data will have adjust as well.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Nap