continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: In distributed build, how does Continuum decide whether there have been scm changes?
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:54:05 GMT
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Edwin Punzalan <elpunzalan@gmail.com> wrote:

> First suggestion:  maybe the master should remember which agent last built
> the project because then that agent has the latest sources.  The master can
> then ask that same agent to check if there are scm updates.  Of course, its
> up to the master now which agent should actually build the project if there
> are changes.

As I recall the discussion back in December, a build environment was
going to include a single build agent, so the question of whether
there are scm changes wouldn't be an issue.  One project group would
always build on a particular agent.  It would simply be moving the
checkout from the server where it is now, out to an agent.

(I was happy with that at the time, but now that I've seen the next
available agent selection effectively give us concurrent builds, I'm
reluctant to give it up. :)  Thus, the idea of having groups or pools
of agents.)

> Second suggestion: Have one agent that will do all the scm checks?  This
> agent may not be doing only this task but you get the idea.

That's similar to the current setup where the master is doing the scm
checks.  It still means that a particular server is going to have to
have the disk space to handle *all* of the projects added to the
master.

> Introducing new agent features (like doing specific scm calls to check if
> there are updates) is not quite what a non-distributed Continuum does.  So
> I'm just trying to stay within what Continuum already does.

We might be able to improve the way Continuum currently handles scm
checks... I think it has some limitations with using the same checkout
for multiple build definitions.

--
Wendy