continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: In distributed build, how does Continuum decide whether there have been scm changes?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 04:31:03 GMT
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Marica Tan <ctan@exist.com> wrote:
> IMO the master needs to keep track of the revisions so
> that when agent 1 tries to build project @ 4:00pm it will only update the
> working copy but it won't build the project.

I'd like to avoid having the master check out the source code.  That
would require the master to have enough disk space for *all* the
projects, when all the master really needs to do is serve the webapp
and fire off build on schedules.

> Our initial plan is to have a dumb build agent so all it knows is how to
> build. When it's a scheduled build, it will always build regardless if there
> is or there isn't any change at all. We can add the check for whether it
> should build or not in the next pass.

Are you saying this is how it works in 1.3.1, that a scheduled build
always builds regardless of whether there are scm changes?

> It first updates the working copy and then set the project's scm result
> (with scm changes). Project has a one to one relationship with ScmResult.
> Everytime you update the working copy, it merges the new scm changes with
> the old scm changes unless it says build fresh.
>
> Currently, no scm changes is returned to the master in a distributed build
> and I'll be working on that next.

How will this work?  Any given agent isn't guaranteed to even have the
code checked out.

--
Wendy