continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Integrated Documentation
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2009 01:50:30 GMT
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Christian Edward Gruber
<cgruber@israfil.net> wrote:

> Actually, that would be great, since then the application could reference
> help into the /documentation space.   It might be a bit weird, since the
> docs are maven site generated, but site isn't run in a standard build.
>  Possibly the continuum-docs pom.xml could be configured to execute site and
> then zip up the site in the packaging phase, then un-compress them into the
> war.  Anyway, I like it.
> The context is that in many situations my CI server is on a network that has
> no external access,

Or we could at least offer a separate zip download of the docs, to
make it easier for those who need to access them offline.

> However, when I wrote this I was thinking more of context-oriented help - if
> not hover tool-tips, then creative use of white-space for "what am I doing
> here" docs right in the forms. Explanations of fields, etc.

I agree we need more of this; on things like installations and
notifications it's not at all clear what things mean... unfortunately
I'm not good enough with page design to figure out how to make it
useful and unobtrusive.

--
Wendy