continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <>
Subject Re: First Part of Distributed Builds
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:52:20 GMT
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Marica Tan <> wrote:

> Thanks wendy for trying it out. I'm thinking of merging this to trunk this
> weekend so please do comment on it if you have any objection.

I think it needs to be documented first.  Right now I can't be sure
it's doing what it's supposed to, only that it seems to be doing
something reasonable. :) Is the wiki [1] up to date?

I had a few questions as I went through it:

Is a slave the same thing as a build agent?  The naming is inconsistent.

SLAVE_HOME should probably be CONTINUUM_SLAVE_HOME (or _AGENT_) for
clarity and to avoid conflicts with other software.

When I add a project to the master, it still checks out the source
code on the master even though the distributed builds option is
enabled.  Should it?  (Is it so that it can decide whether there have
been any changes?)

What about security?  I didn't set up any users on the slave, can
anyone who knows the url add projects and execute builds?

What are the installations in the config file used for?  I noticed
that if I added an installation/buildenv to the master and executed a
build using it, the slave used it (the correct version of Maven) even
though it was not listed as an installation in the slave's config.

We need to consider possible interactions with existing features.  I'm
not saying we need to deal with them all before merging this, but we
should be aware of it and document what happens.  For example... How
do you purge local repositories on slaves?  How does releasing work?

As previously mentioned, the current implementation only works if all
your slaves are identical.  The ability to choose which slave(s) a
project is allowed to build on needs to be added at some point.

Also, we're already blocked from releasing trunk because we have no
database migration capability.  Given that the target market for
distributed builds is Continuum users who have _multiple_ instances,
how are they going to migrate and combine multiple sets of
configuration into one master server?

Great job on all this!  All in all, +1 to merging it with
documentation, after Emmanuel's concerns are addressed.

View raw message