continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Edward Gruber <cgru...@israfil.net>
Subject Re: Integrated Documentation
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:45:42 GMT
I'd be very interested, if I had a clue where to start. ;)  I'm happy
to be a part of it, but I'm still new to the 1.3+ continuum, and I
consider myself a consumer of the docs at this point, while I get used
to the new stuff.  Having said that, I'm happy to post patches as I
discover stuff.  (Also, I'm not a front-end UI guy, so I might need
someone to create a decent template for hover or help-link docs, so I
can replicate it with context.)  So, yes, but with the above caveats.

Christian

On 19-Jan-09, at 02:50 , Brett Porter wrote:

> On 17/01/2009, at 5:50 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Christian Edward Gruber
>> <cgruber@israfil.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The context is that in many situations my CI server is on a
>>> network that has
>>> no external access,
>>
>> Or we could at least offer a separate zip download of the docs, to
>> make it easier for those who need to access them offline.
>
> Archiva does both at the moment - you may like to life it's
> configuration for a future Continuum release.
>

>>> However, when I wrote this I was thinking more of context-oriented
>>> help - if
>>> not hover tool-tips, then creative use of white-space for "what am
>>> I doing
>>> here" docs right in the forms. Explanations of fields, etc.
>>
>> I agree we need more of this; on things like installations and
>> notifications it's not at all clear what things mean... unfortunately
>> I'm not good enough with page design to figure out how to make it
>> useful and unobtrusive.
>
> I agree as well, though a simple link to the documentation (if
> bundled) would be a good start (just a help link on each page).
>
> As for linking snippets to docs - well, you can have the docs
> extract them using the snippet macro if they are marked in the pages
> appropriately (they are possibly even in resource files, so you can
> access them properties and share them via a separate module that
> contains the bundles).
>
> However I think I'd like to see repeated duplication that makes the
> effort worthwhile - I think the snippets tend to be reworded to suit
> the condensed/contextual nature where the docs are going to give a
> lengthier explanation. If they context help is there and sufficient,
> the doc page is probably not needed if it's just aggregating that.
>
> Christian, would you be interested in submitting patches for some
> contextual help?
>
> Cheers,
> Brett
>

>> --
>> Wendy
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Christian E. Gruber - President / Senior Consultant
email:  cgruber@israfil.net
Isráfíl Consulting Services Corporation
mobile: +1 (289) 221-9839
"Keenness of understanding is due to keenness of vision..."
phone:  +1 (905) 640-1119