continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Edward Gruber <cgru...@israfil.net>
Subject Re: How can an agent be sure that a request comes from its master?
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:15:41 GMT
The simple answer would be a shared secret, provided in the
configuration of the agent.  So long as the master can provide the
shared secret to the agent, it'll respond appropriately.  Client-ssl
certs could work, though recent root-certificate-authority hacks may
make that less than perfect.  But ultimately, I think the same sorts
of auth options that any web-app has available to it could be used, so
long as nothing is sent in clear-text.

Christian.

On 19-Jan-09, at 11:48 , Wendy Smoak wrote:

> In the current implementation, it seems that an agent will accept
> requests from anybody, though it will only send responses to the
> master url in its configuration file.
>
> I'd like that to change so that an agent will only act on requests
> from its master, but just comparing the urls doesn't seem good enough.
>
> How can the agent be sure that the server making the request really is
> who it says it is?
>
> --
> Wendy

Christian E. Gruber - President / Senior Consultant
email:  cgruber@israfil.net
Isráfíl Consulting Services Corporation
mobile: +1 (289) 221-9839
"Keenness of understanding is due to keenness of vision..."
phone:  +1 (905) 640-1119