continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: In distributed build, how does Continuum decide whether there have been scm changes?
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:46:59 GMT

On 26/01/2009, at 5:43 AM, Marica Tan wrote:

> So here's my problem. As you can see from the scenario above, when
> it tried
> to build from agent 2 at 2:00, it checked out the project at r101
> with no
> scm changes.
> How can it get the changes from r100 to r101? This also happens at
> 3:00. It
> only gets the scm changes from r101 to r102. It can only have the scm
> changes from r100 to r102 if it build on agent 1 again just like at
> 3:30
> (merging of scm results will happen).
>
> Do you know how to solve this? Any suggestions?

One of the reasons I initially thought it'd be good to attach the
agent to use to a build definition was that it meant that it wouldn't
matter - the checkout on the agent could be used to determine (because
we actually want to separate the update checks per build definition).

> Here's also a solution on what Wendy wants: (though i'm not that
> familiar
> with version controls, just know how to use one, so I don't know if
> this
> will work)
>
> 1.) agent updates checkout
> 2.) return result with revision number?
> 3.) master checks if up to date and perform other checks to determine
> whether agent should build the project or not. scm result may need an
> additional field like "Revision Number"
> 4.) master then decides whether to let the agent build or not based
> on #3
>

> Is it possible to get the revision number when we do an update in
> continuum?

Yep, but something to bear in mind is that not all systems support an
atomic revision number (eg, CVS). Perhaps the date could be used in
its stead here - as long as it's used consistently (with no gaps in
time) it should be fine (though date is bad to use in subversion,
since it doesn't always work).

I was actually thinking we should create a separate record from the
checkout about what the last build was anyway (as this would support
the multiple build definitions as well). This might be a good
opportunity.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter