continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Initial Efforts for Parallel Builds
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 17:15:32 GMT
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Maria Odea Ching <oching@apache.org> wrote:

> 1. In the Configuration page, set Number of Allowed Builds in Parallel to a
> value greater than 1 and save the changes.
> 2. Create a new Build Queue. You can create a few more if you want but you
> shouldn't be permitted to create more than the Number of Allowed Builds in
> Parallel you've set in the configuration.
> 3. In the Schedules page, edit DEFAULT_SCHEDULE and select the Build Queues
> you want to attach to it. These build queues would be used to distribute the
> checkouts/builds to be executed when the DEFAULT_SCHEDULE is used.
> 4. Add a number of projects (different project groups if possible) to
> Continuum. You should be able to see in the Queues page the current
> checkout/builds executing and the queued tasks, and to which Build Queue are
> these tasks executing or queued.

Step 3 isn't intuitive... I skipped it and got a NPE when adding
projects.  Then when I tried to complete it, the multi-select box is
difficult to figure out.  If you select everything in it, saving just
refeshes the page.  If you select the two build queues (not the top
'title' line) then saving the page takes you back to the list of build
queues with no confirmation.

Can we prompt for the schedule when adding a build queue, to eliminate
that extra step?  Or simply attach the queue to the default schedule,
and you can go change it if necessary?  It's just a UI thing I think.
It can go in the list for enhancements after it all works. :)

I was using the 'simple' example in the Continuum sandbox, and r728182
of the parallel builds branch (not the one you staged.)

On Step 3 you mention that the queues will be used when the
_scheduled_ build happens... what about forced builds?

--
Wendy