continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuum release versioning
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:54:30 GMT
On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I prefer the httpd style too (but no real issue with the maven one).
> A release is a release. IHMO we don't need to use some "marketing" names
> :-).

It seems that we need to revisit this topic. :)

IMO if we're going to release early and (fairly) often, we need a way
to communicate quality/stability to users.

My preference is to do 1.3.0, 1.3.1, 1.3.2 and to "label" them
(alpha/beta/milestone/GA) in the release announcement and download
page.  This means that 1.3.0 doesn't have to be feature complete, and
that we may skip versions if a problem is found and a vote doesn't
pass.

Another option is the way Archiva has decided to do it, with
milestones 1.3-M1, 1.3-M2, 1.3 then 1.3.1, 1.3.2 patch releases.  Here
we need to avoid reusing version numbers, so we might need a release
candidate process in order to make sure "1.3" doesn't get built over
and over.

Are there any modifications to the above, or other versioning schemes
we should consider?

Thanks,
--
Wendy