continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <>
Subject Re: Continuum release versioning
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:54:30 GMT
On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Olivier Lamy <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I prefer the httpd style too (but no real issue with the maven one).
> A release is a release. IHMO we don't need to use some "marketing" names
> :-).

It seems that we need to revisit this topic. :)

IMO if we're going to release early and (fairly) often, we need a way
to communicate quality/stability to users.

My preference is to do 1.3.0, 1.3.1, 1.3.2 and to "label" them
(alpha/beta/milestone/GA) in the release announcement and download
page.  This means that 1.3.0 doesn't have to be feature complete, and
that we may skip versions if a problem is found and a vote doesn't

Another option is the way Archiva has decided to do it, with
milestones 1.3-M1, 1.3-M2, 1.3 then 1.3.1, 1.3.2 patch releases.  Here
we need to avoid reusing version numbers, so we might need a release
candidate process in order to make sure "1.3" doesn't get built over
and over.

Are there any modifications to the above, or other versioning schemes
we should consider?

View raw message