continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Marica Tan" <c...@exist.com>
Subject Re: Distributed builds
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 01:47:48 GMT
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18/11/2008, at 4:49 PM, Marica Tan wrote:
>
>  Additional proposal for distributed builds
>>
>> 1. Need to have a separate builder for distributed and non-distributed
>> builds
>>   - non-distributed builds: group level update then build project one by
>> one.
>>   - distributed builds: update and build project one by one.
>>

> I don't quite understand this... since the location is decided by the build
> definition wouldn't they just be distributed together?

I was actually thinking here that each project will be distributed to
different agents. But now that I think about it, it's much easier if a
multi-module projects will be distributed together.

I think we shouldn't tie up the build agents with the build definition. If
we still have the build agent in the build environment, then it's a one to
one relationship; a project group will always be distributed to the same
build agent. IMO, assign any available build agent to a project. So that if
one is unavailable there still other agents where the project can be
distributed to.

So if a project group has a multi-module projects with/without
interdependency and another non multi-module project, then the multi-module
projects will be distributed together while the other project will be
distributed to another agent.

>> 2. Continuum server is considered as the local build agent. It will be
>> included when looking for an available build agent.
>>

> Makes sense. I agree with Emmanuel's comment here to try and use the same
> code.
>

>> 3. Central remote repository
>>   - for local build agent
>>     a. add remote repository to settings.xml
>>   - for remote build agents
>>     a. add remote repository to settings.xml

this is in the agent machine

>>     b. M1 or M2 projects: deploy artifacts recently installed in the local
>> repo to the remote repo.
>>     c. ANT or SHELL projects: don't know yet how to deploy artifacts for
>> these type of projects. so maybe limit the distributed builds for M1
>> and/or
>> M2 projects only?
>>

> I'm not quite sure what needs to change for a distributed build here...
> it's just the same configuration on multiple machines, right?

What do you mean?

>> 4. Remote build agents will not use any database. All information will be
>> stored in a configuration file. Continuum server (master agnet) system
>> administrator's credentials will be stored in the settings.xml as well.
>>

> This is the ideal architecture IMO (which I proposed some months back) and
> makes the build agents smaller, but to get this working is it necessary? I
> agree with Emmanuel's comment here to try and use the same code again.
>

> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter