continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distributed builds
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:23:52 GMT

On 23/10/2008, at 9:38 PM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> The process is:
>
> if latest agent version isn't deployed on the agent server
>    copy the agent to the agent server
> end if
> start ssh session
> launch agent with the project context (agent is a simple standalone
> to start
> when needed, it isn't a service)
> stop ssh session
>
> With this mechanism, we get in real time the output of the agent
> instead of
> to get the build result at the end. It's important to can to follow
> the
> build output during the build so the build result page is updated
> automatically.

I think maybe this is a good alternative to add in the future, but
probably not the only way. It might have some drawbacks, like:
* long builds and flaky connections would lose the build if the
connection drops
* a nuisance to run on Windows :)

I think maybe the most robust for the future is JMS like David B had
in place earlier, since you can use the built in features to make sure
build results never get lost, and can probably handle some servers
going down.

But I also like XMLRPC because it already exists so is a good starting
point - we can get something working and then improve later by
slimming down the builder and improving the communication medium.

WDYT?

Cheers,
Brett

--