continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r695183 - in /continuum/trunk: continuum-api/src/main/java/org/apache/continuum/dao/ continuum-api/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/ continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/ continuum-model/src/main/mdo/ contin
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:17:45 GMT
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ken Liu <ken.liu@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO, even if some database fields are not mandatory, it is generally bad
> practice not to migrate databases. You really don't want some people having
> one schema and other users having a different schema - it just makes for
> more consistency in deployment and less support issues, especially when
> dealing with ORM tools.

I'm guessing you haven't tried to migrate a Continuum database. :)
The data management tools Need Work.  You can't just export and
import, even from the *same* version.  After importing, you have to
connect to the database and execute some SQL statements to fix things
up before it will work.  (The table that stores the next key values
apparently doesn't get updated properly.)

For the moment, it's preferable to be able to point a new Continuum
instance at an old database, and let JPOX do whatever it does.  (I
think it does add the new fields, btw.)

--
Wendy