continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: refactoring the SCM
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:58:09 GMT
Hi Marica!

I like the idea, though I think it could be a bit simpler. I'm a bit
unsure why it's coupled to the state and build results at all? Do we
need to track these for historical purposes?

I think at the moment we already have the error state, which AFAICT
are always the result of configuration or transient errors. Perhaps we
could replace that with this?

The types of things I want to see it achieve are:
- same notification mechanism as the rest, but ability to separate
handling (which we have with error types already)
- if it is corrected, it is as if it never happened - ie, no build
result, no notification if it wouldn't have if it hadn't have happened
(eg SUCCESS -> SVN FAIL -> SUCCESS should just report the SVN failure
needs fixing)
- make it possible for Continuum to know it needs to try something
again.

I hope this makes sense... basically I think we should separate the
configuration/pre-build from the actual build.

I'm still not sure if POM errors are really transient :)

Thanks,
Brett

--
Brett Porter