continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multi-module builds in Continuum
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 23:32:18 GMT

On 16/05/2008, at 6:06 AM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> I think it would be better to use only one working copy for a whole
> multi-module project. With this, we'll save lot of space on the disk
> and for
> each multi-module project we'd can do a single build with the
> recursive
> mode.

Agreed - though I think the "recursive" mode should remain optional.

> An other point is we won't have a build in the middle and we'll can
> support
> correctly multi-module projects with flat structure.

I still like the module-by-module build - just having one checkout
means that you only build which modules changes (or their dependencies
did), rather than rebuilding the parent and everything every time.

> I don't know yet if we can implement this in 1.X or if it would be
> better to
> wait 2.0 because it is a big change.

This is one of my goals of the SCM changes :) Since it's mostly
internal, I think it can be done in 1.x.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter