continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: refactoring the SCM
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 01:04:03 GMT

On 07/05/2008, at 10:27 AM, Rahul Thakur wrote:

> Cool! :)
>
> Just one note on exceptions - Can we wrap up all the SCM exceptions
> under one parent which is then exposed through the ContinuumScm API?
>
> Clients that need to do any special handling can introspect the
> extension.
>
> WDYT?

One of the problems in the code that was just removed was that some
exceptions were getting swallowed or handled in the wrong place
because it was trying to introspect a nested exception.

I don't really think wrapping an exception without adding any
information, only to unwrap it later makes much sense.

I think the caller should be able to deal with the Maven SCM
exceptions, and the IOException resulting from passing a bad working
directory.

On the other hand, we don't really want to change interfaces in the
future, and a wrapped exception does provide that flexibility like the
request parameter does.

What do others think?

- Brett

--