continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Thakur <rahul.thakur.x...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuum release versioning
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 23:29:49 GMT

I am not sure why we need to change release versioning and I don't see a
difference how Eclipse milestones releases differ from beta(s) or RC(s)
that we have for Maven. Eclipse milestones do not freeze APIs until
later stages.

If we want to put production quality releases out there, we have the
option of planning and releasing 'Release Candidates' more oft, such
that they get used/tested by community.

Rahul

Wendy Smoak wrote:
> We've been discussing how to version releases over at Archiva, and
> seem to have settled on milestones ->  final ->  patch releases.  No
> more -alpha and -beta designations in the filename.
>
> Brett summarized the options and gave his opinions:
>
>> - Maven style (alpha, beta, final, point release)
>> - Eclipse style (M1, M2, M3, final, point release - though Eclipse don't have the
last ones)  [Spring style then? -ws]
>> - httpd style (.0.0, .0.1, .0.2, .0.3)
>
>> And here are [Brett's] opinions:
>> - I'm tired of the Maven style. I've heard people actually saying it's ok to break
things because it's just an alpha. I would rather encourage development practices that mean
every release should be production quality.
>> - But I'm a realist - releases need broader testing to assess production quality.
>> - milestones seem more akin to a set roadmap per release that gets done in stages,
rather than timeboxing
>> - httpd-style can be a little confusing to users, at least at first (will the real
release please stand up?). I think this is mitigated by only putting the final final releases
on release repo and mirrors
>> - httpd-style is not very effective for "milestones", since you end up making the
20th or 30th release your first "real" release