continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multi-module builds in Continuum
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2008 08:21:48 GMT
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Marica Tan <ctan@exist.com> wrote:

>  Current Scenario:
>  When changes/updates occured in between builds of a multi-module project,
>  some modules failed to build because of those changes not being reflected.
>
>  Let say we have a scheduled build of a multi-module project with sub-project
>  A, B and C, where C is dependent on A.
>  B is currently building when changes was made on A and C. So when C gets to
>  build it fails because changes on A wasn't reflected.

Okay...

>  1. This is the current scenario when building a multi-module project: for
>  every module, the steps performed are checkout/update then build. What we're
>  proposing is to checkout/update group atomically before builds, meaning
>  there will only be one checkout/update and this would be at the group level.
>  The build order is still like the current process (by dependency order), the
>  only difference is that the checkout/update will be performed only once at
>  the group level and at the start of the group build.
>
>  2. Notification will be moved at the end of the group build.
>
>  3. Reflect the changes in UI. Maybe a tree view.

I'm with you up to this point.  And 6-8 seem fairly straightforward.
But I'm not really sure what the rest of the things on the list mean.
Can you add more details?  If you think it's something that needs
discussion, separate threads might work better, or just go ahead and
open the JIRA issues.

>  4. Add features related to building
>
>  5. Aggregated build result/in progress
>
>  6. Need skip/don't build state that retains previous state for statistics.
>
>  7. Cancel build is still per project. When a build is cancelled, it will
>  trigger a skip.
>    - can set a flag that the build was cancelled / skipped, but the state is
>  still the previous state.
>
>  8. Add group cancel
>
>  9. Add transient state
>
>  10. Decision to build is still per project
>
>  11. Track hierarchy in config

Thanks,
--
Wendy