continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why is the release functionality provided on the projectGroup level only?
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:00:35 GMT
On 08/04/2008, at 7:31 PM, Erik Drolshammer wrote:

> Hi!
> Why is the release functionality provided on the projectGroup level
> only?

There is a release button on every individual project too - what
behaviour were you expecting?

> Drivers when choosing a groupIds
> * groupId + artifactID should be equal to the java package
>
> * The directory structure of the project must match the java package
>
> * The groupId should thus follow SUN's Naming Conventions . (So do
> not use camelCase!)
>
> * When adding a project in Continuum the groupId is used to put the
> projects into projectGroups.
> ** It is convenient to use projectGroups so simplify management of
> build definitions.
> ** The release functionality is provided on the projectGroup level,
> so all projects in the same projectGroup are released together.
>
> ^ Does this correspond to the current best practices?

Apart from the last statement, yes, I believe so.

> Look for example at maven-plugins. They will all (by sorting by
> groupId) be put in the same projectGroup. Imho, it is not likely
> that all the plugins will be released together.

Correct - you would release them using the individual one. However
groups are usually formed by a reactor of more closely related builds.
In truth, plugins doesn't follow the best practice because their trunk
and tags are at a different level to the release.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org