continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Drolshammer <erik.drolsham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Workflow engine
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 07:35:48 GMT
Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> I tried to look at OSWorkflow a while back and found it to be pretty
> much not what we want. It is very user driven and it was very hard to
> get it to work in a way that Continuum needed it to.
>
> OSWorkflow is perfect for JIRA and the like, but not for server
> applications. My current bet is on the stuff from JBoss. ODE seems to be
> more on a BPEL level. ServiceMix used to have something for Java-based
> workflow composition (bean flow was it?) that looked pretty much what I
> was looking for at that time.

I used OSWorkflow on my previous project. Some comments:

1. The book on OSWorkflow [1] is terrible, the online docs are worse

2. It works pretty well, but it is really low level. E.g. it does not
natively support loops, so this kind of functionality you must implement
yourself.

3. It can definitively be used to do what you want, but it is not easy.
I don't know any better products though.

We evaluated JBoss Drools before choosing OSWorkflow, which worked well,
but was not suited for our use case. I think it was that it was more
useful as a rule engine than a general workflow-engine. If its features
are what you want, Drools seems to be a good product.

[1]
http://www.amazon.com/OSWorkflow-developers-architects-integrating-open-source/dp/1847191525/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207121475&sr=8-1

--
Regards