continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Thakur <rahul.thakur.x...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Confused about the branches
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:29:00 GMT

Brett Porter wrote:

> On 29/02/2008, at 10:04 AM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

>>> in case there was a bugfix release on 1.1? I thought that was what the
>>> branch was for... maintenance of 1.1.
>>>
>>> or is there going to be 2 completely different strands of development?
>>

>> I thought to do 1.x in the branch instead of only maintenance in
>> 1.1.xbecause I don't know how many time we'll need for the first
>> 2.0 release. User will probably need some new small feature before the
>> 2.0release and not only maintenance.
>
> With the roadmap discussion recently, I thought it was going to be an
> incremental move towards 2.0 on trunk - 1.2 will have some parts and
> refactorings, 1.3, 1.4 and so on. I'm not sure why there would need to
> be two streams of development? I think there's a real danger of getting
> lost in the 2.0 trap (c.f. Maven 1.0, Maven 2.0 and Maven 2.1 :)

We haven't pegged any version numbers to the tasks extracted from the
roadmap discussion. I think we should consider what architecture rework
we intend to do (and impact), and if it merits keeping 2 streams (or not).

> I'm actually keen to do a couple of small things myself and get a
> release out:
> - a few small bug fixes, like the lost change sets for some builds
> - better error handling
> - switch to a Jetty runtime without the plexus appserver so we can use
> jetty 6
> - add a call to svn info --xml to check whether to do an svn update to
> speed up working copy updates

I agree on getting something out frequently. Having said that if there
is a consensus on 2 streams then I think we need to keep the momentum up
on both to get releases/milestones out there.

> Just stuff I see from running vmbuild and the maven zone.
>
> I think that and a couple of other refactorings that are being discussed
> on here would make a good 1.2 in the next couple of months. WDYT?
>
> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org