continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confused about the branches
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:32:56 GMT

On 29/02/2008, at 10:04 AM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On 29/02/2008, at 9:52 AM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
>>
>>> why 1.1.x?
>>
>> in case there was a bugfix release on 1.1? I thought that was what
>> the
>> branch was for... maintenance of 1.1.
>>
>> or is there going to be 2 completely different strands of
>> development?
>

> I thought to do 1.x in the branch instead of only maintenance in
> 1.1.xbecause I don't know how many time we'll need  for the  first
> 2.0 release. User will probably need some new small feature before the
> 2.0release and not only maintenance.

With the roadmap discussion recently, I thought it was going to be an
incremental move towards 2.0 on trunk - 1.2 will have some parts and
refactorings, 1.3, 1.4 and so on. I'm not sure why there would need to
be two streams of development? I think there's a real danger of
getting lost in the 2.0 trap (c.f. Maven 1.0, Maven 2.0 and Maven 2.1 :)

I'm actually keen to do a couple of small things myself and get a
release out:
- a few small bug fixes, like the lost change sets for some builds
- better error handling
- switch to a Jetty runtime without the plexus appserver so we can use
jetty 6
- add a call to svn info --xml to check whether to do an svn update to
speed up working copy updates

Just stuff I see from running vmbuild and the maven zone.

I think that and a couple of other refactorings that are being
discussed on here would make a good 1.2 in the next couple of months.
WDYT?

- Brett

--
Brett Porter