continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Edward Gruber <cgru...@israfil.net>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Continuum 2.0 Roadmap
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 03:12:41 GMT
Toplink is mentioned, but it's a commercial app, and I don't think
they'll license it in a way that's compatible (unless they've
radically changed policies recently).  I'm not a huge hibernate fan,
but at least its supported.  At least with JPA and decent abstraction,
you should be able to have more "swapability" though at the O/R-M
level I find it's rare to get true swapability.

I've been using and supporting spring for a long time, but after doing
some tapestry work, and re-thinking IoC approaches, I'm moving in
favor of picocontainer.  Tapestry doesn't use picocontainer but has an
IoC framework that's got some similar design concepts.  Actually, that
gets to another point, which is that Tapestry is happy and easy and
fun (well, T5), and since it comes with an IoC framework that can
integrate cleanly with Spring if we want that benefit, you can get the
whole kit together.

The other nice thing about Tapestry, is that several people have made
"quickstart" projects which include everything Continuum would likely
use including Spring, spring-acegi, hibernate/jpa, etc.  One could use
that as a structural basis, and T5 is (currently) built with maven,
and will at least be deployed to maven repositories in perpetuity.

Christian.